Friday, March 25, 2011

the next half step: The Beginning

I woke up about an hour ago, 1am-ish on a Saturday morning. You know, what usually is the golden hour for festivities. The first thing I tried to do was speak Chinese. I said: 现在我的中文差点都忘了. I struggled to get the words out, to get the tones right, and I panicked. All that time, from Jiao Tong to hanging with locals, to after-work conversations with Wu Jing in Beijing, was it all gone down the drain?

It turned out my mind was just sluggish from half-sleep, but still. I knew the next book I would read would be about China. Into my voice recorder (my latest addiction, and something that is trying to take over my pen and pad as a method of jotting down mental notes) I confessed that my obsession with writing from a Western point of view was destroying my Chinese.

I logged on to Blogger, expecting that I would import Wombagain to Wordpress and start anew. And that is when I came across some words from a friend that resonated with me in this moment:

the next half step: The Beginning: "It feels like my life is now getting started. I've walked this far with my head looking at my feet. It's time to look forward a..."

Sol's someone who contemplates life in much the same way I do, and I feel like switching ships would be abandoning the very small network of Bloggers that I have come to follow and respect. In a webspace that seems increasingly loud, crowded, and noisy, Blogger.com seems quiet and old-fashioned. I like that, too.

This space right here keeps me close to China, travel, and the purity of music and art. Womb stays.

No comments: